Armorcast Redevelopment Area
Birdsboro, Berks County PA
History and Description
This heavy industrial Armorcast facility pictured was built in 1944. The company produced Sherman Tanks, a 'Medium' tank, for WWII.
The facility includes 50,000 SF with room for 400,000 SF expansion. 9 bridge cranes range in size from 5 - 75 tons each. Gentry cranes range from 5 to 20 tons each. 40’ - 50’ ceiling heights. Bays are 79’ wide and up to 1,480’ long. Heating and cooling by tenant. Natural gas available. 69 KVA power. Concrete floors ranges from 1’ to 4’ deep. 60 acre lot. Private driveway with gravel parking lots.
This facility is located in eastern Berks County, PA, approximately .9 miles off Rte 422, just 7 miles to PA Turnpike and 40 miles North West of Philadelphia.
This site is part of the Armorcast Redevelopment Area of Birdsboro Borough and Union Township.
Possible Assistance from
Berks County Redevelopment Authority includes:
- Environmental Assessment
- Environmental Remediation
- Second Access Road
1. Redevelopment of Armorcast site
2. Improve ingress and egress to Armorcast site
3. Rehabilitation of housing
4. Extension of Thun Trail
5. Improvements to Birdsboro Main Bird Park
6. Improvements to Union Township Park
7. Expansion of area around Legion Baseball Field in Birdsboro
8. Improve SR 724 to extent possible
9. Reduce 100-year floodplain
10. Re-zone Armorcast site as necessary for new development
11. Provide rail access to Armorcast site
12. Rehabilitate the East First Street bridge
Improve curbing, sidewalks and street on Furnace Street between Main Street and East First Street
14. Develop financial incentives for property owners to improve facades along Furnace Street between Main Street and East First Street.
- Birdsboro and Union Planning Commissions approval of blighting conditions.
- County reserves $750,000 in federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program funds for project.
- Authority applies for EPA grant to assess environmental condition.
- Authority's engineer currently reviewing 100 year floodplain boundaries for removing some acres from floodplain.
- Engineer issues report.
- Authority applies to have Armorcast property designated as a Brownfield Action Team (BAT) site.
- Authority applies to DCED for grant to conduct a Phase 1 and Phase II environmental assessment of Armorcast property.
- Birdsboro Planning Commission approves Redevelopment Plan
- Union Planning Commission approves Redevelopment Plan.
- DCED approves grant of $30,000 towards Phase 1 and Phase II environmental assessment of Armorcast property.
- Authority advertises for consultants to conduct Phase 1 and Phase II environmental assessment of Armorcast property.
- Authority contracts with the firm of Environmental Standards, Inc. to perform Phase I and Phase II environmental assessment of Armorcast property.
- Authority approves Redevelopment Proposal.
- Birdsboro Planning Commission approves Redevelopment Proposal.
- Phase 1 environmental assessment of Armorcast property completed.
- County provides $200,000 towards Rehabilitation of First Street Bridge.
- Authority receives $15,000 grant from Schuylkill River National and State Heritage Area to develop Revitalization Plan for downtown Birdsboro.
- Revitalization Plan completed. [Link to large [31 mb] PDF of plan]
Kenneth L. Pick, Executive Director
Berks County Redevelopment Authority